7th Grade Entry Immunization Requirements
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health requires that all school children be properly immunized. All students who are new to Massachusetts schools must also comply with this requirement. The only exceptions are for religious or medical reasons, and a signed statement by the parent/guardian or health care provider must be on file in the school health record.
The school nurse will notify parents/guardians of students with incomplete records immunization records during the spring of the 6th grade. Immunizations must be completed prior to entry into 7th grade, or students will be subject to exclusion. In addition, any student with incomplete immunizations who is exposed to a vaccine preventable disease such as Varicella (chickenpox) may need to be excluded from school for a period of time after exposure. The following immunizations are required for school entry:
- Measles Vaccine (MMR) – All students entering seventh grade are required have 2 doses of measles vaccine.
- Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus Vaccine (DPT) – All students entering seventh grade are required to have one booster dose of Td or Tdap if it has been 5 years or more since the last dose.
- Hepatitis B Vaccine – All students entering seventh grade are required to have 3 doses of hepatitis B vaccine.
- Varicella (chickenpox) – All students entering seventh grade are required to have one or two doses of varicella vaccine or physician certified reliable history of chickenpox disease.
- Influenza – Yearly. H1N1 will be included from now on in the yearly influenza vaccine.